2. Honorary members shall be defined as those former active members who the Board of Directors wishes to honor. They shall have all the rights and privileges of active members, except for the right to vote and hold office. They shall pay no dues.
3. Junior membership shall consist of any unmarried person less than 18 years of age as of the beginning of the membership year, and who does not otherwise qualify under a family membership. A junior member must be sponsored in writing by an active member in good standing. Junior members are approved for membership on a year to year basis by the Board of Directors. A junior member is entitled to skipper in club sanctioned races, and to launch club sanctioned sailboats from club property. These privileges extend only to the person named in the membership, and no voting rights. They have no guest privileges. Dues and other privileges of junior membership shall be established by the Board of Directors.
B. All membership applications shall be signed by the applicant and countersigned by two (2) members of the club, in good standing, and two (2) members of the Board of Directors, and shall be submitted to either the Commodore or the Secretary for proper presentation to the Membership Committee.
C. An applicant shall become an active or honorary member upon the affirmative vote of three-fourths of the members of the Board of Directors.
D. Only members in good standing and minor members of the immediate family of a member shall participate in club functions except that guest privileges may be extended on such occasions as the Board of Directors shall direct.
E. The dues for membership shall be as follows:
1. Active membership family dues shall be established by the Board of Directors annually prior to October 1.
2. Active membership individual dues shall be established by the Board of Directors annually prior to October 1.
3. New members admitted to membership after August 1 of any year shall pay membership fees equal to one-half of the regular annual membership fee of their class of membership.
F. Dues shall be payable on or before November 30 of each year.
G. Any member of this club may be suspended or expelled for cause upon the affirmative vote of three-fourths of the members of the Board of Directors.
A. Each active family membership shall be entitled up to two (2) votes: adult members voting personally at any membership meeting or two (2) mail ballots for the election at the annual meeting, proposed bylaw amendment, or motion specified in the meeting notice.
B. Each active individual membership shall be entitled to one (1) vote at any membership meeting or one (1) mail ballot for the election at the annual meeting, proposed bylaw amendment, or motion specified in the meeting notice.
C. Ballots cast by mail are to be sealed, with the signature on the outside of the sealed envelope, and must be received by the Secretary, personally, twenty-four (24) hours prior to the time of the annual membership meeting. The Secretary will hold all sealed ballots as received until the time of voting. The sealed ballots will be opened and counted or returned to the member whose signature appears on the envelope if they personally present them self at the time of voting. There shall be no other proxy vote privilege at the membership meeting.
A. Members meeting
1. The annual meeting of the members of the association shall be held on the last day of the sailing season or upon the date set by the Commodore or the Board of Directors.
2. Special meetings of the members may be called by the Commodore or any ten (10) members who shall notify the Secretary of their desire to call such a meeting and the purpose thereof. Notice of such meeting shall be sent to the primary address of each member at least fourteen (14) days prior to the date of the meeting.
3. Mail ballots shall be sent to all members with a notice of the meeting.
4. Twenty (20) percent of the membership attending in person or represented by absentee ballot, shall constitute a quorum.
B. Board of Directors meetings
1. The Board of Directors shall hold a meeting immediately following the annual meeting of the membership for the purpose of electing the officers. The Board of Directors shall hold its annual meeting at a time and place selected by the Commodore but in any event, before the first day of January.
2. Other meetings shall be held at such a time and place as shall be designated by the Commodore. Special meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held upon the written demand submitted to the Secretary of no less than three (3) members of the Board of Directors. Notice of such meetings, whether annual or special, shall be given at least seven (7) days prior to the date of the meeting.
A. The management and control of the club shall be by the Board of Directors consisting of nine (9) or ten (10) voting members. Directors shall be elected at the annual meeting to serve a three (3) year
i term, unless said director is elected Vice-Commodore at which time said director is eligible to serve a fourth (4th) year as Commodore if elected as Commodore by the Board of Directors, and cannot be re-elected to the board for a period of one (1) year after said term has expired. Terms of duty on the board will be staggered so that three new directors will be elected each year. Should it become necessary to replace a director whose term has not expired, a new director shall be elected at the next annual meeting to serve the remaining part of the original three-year term. A director elected to fulfill the unexpired term of another director must remain off the Board of Directors for one (1) full year after completing the original unexpired term before being re-eligible for election to the Board of Directors. In the case of tie votes, the nominees shall draw lots to determine the successful nominee or nominees.
B. The immediate Past-Commodore automatically becomes a non-voting member of the Board of Directors for one (1) full year if that individual’s three-year term on the board has expired.
C. The slate of candidates for director, as presented to the membership, shall be selected by a Nominating Committee of three (3) members appointed by the Commodore and approved by a majority of directors. The Nominating Committee shall present a slate of three (3) or more active members for the annual three vacancies. Additional candidates to fill unexpired terms shall be added to the slate as needed. The slate of candidates for the Board of Directors shall be placed on a ballot and mailed to all members at least ten (10) days prior to the annual meeting of the membership. Members are to confirm the three (3) candidates selected by the Nominating Committee or may write in an alternative candidate or candidates of their choice in the space provided on the ballot.
D. Ballots will be issued to all active members in good standing by the Secretary with the approval of the Treasurer. Ballots are to be gathered and counted by a Tellers Committee of four (4) members in good standing, not directors or nominees, appointed by the Commodore at the time of voting. All ballots, including mail ballots, tally sheets, etc., are to be kept by the Secretary for no less than thirty (30) days after the date of balloting and they shall be available for examination by any member in good standing.
E. Any director who shall miss two (2) successive meetings of the board or three (3) meetings in one fiscal year may be dropped from the Board of Directors and that individual’s office declared vacant by a vote of the majority of the board unless said board deems this absence excusable.
A. Officers of the club shall be:
B. Such officers shall be elected by the Board of Directors immediately after the annual meeting of the membership and shall take office immediately thereafter. They shall hold offices for one (1) year or until their successors are elected. Vacancies may be filled during the year by the Board of Directors. No Commodore shall hold that office for more than two (2) consecutive years. The Commodore and Vice-Commodore shall be selected from the membership of the board. The Rear-Commodore, Secretary and Treasurer may be selected from the membership of the board.
C. The Commodore shall have general charge of the club. The Commodore shall preside at all meetings, appoint committees and generally conduct the affairs of the club except as here and otherwise provided.
D. The Vice-Commodore shall assist the Commodore and shall perform the duties of the Commodore in their absence. The Vice-Commodore shall also direct all social activities.
E. The Rear-Commodore shall be responsible for The North Lake Yacht Club building and grounds.
F. The Secretary shall keep a record of all members of the club and shall keep accurate minutes of all meetings and be responsible for ballots.
G. The Treasurer shall collect all dues and monies of the club and shall keep an accurate record thereof.
H. The Board of Directors may provide for such other and additional special office as may be necessary in their judgment.
A. Chief Judge: The Commodore shall appoint a Chief Judge. The Chief Judge shall be responsible to have available for all races, a starter, timekeeper, and sufficient judges to adequately judge each race. The courses for all races shall be set by the Chief Judge or their designate.
B. Race Committee: The Commodore shall appoint a Race Committee consisting of the Chief Judge and at least two (2) other members. This committee shall rule on all questions involving or pertaining to the racing rules under which the races are held by the association. It shall rule on all protests, disqualifications and violations and its decision shall be final except that, if appropriate, a decision may be appealed to the appropriate committee of the ILYA.
C. Schedule committee: The Commodore shall appoint a Schedule Committee of which the Chief Judge shall be a member. The Schedule Committee shall arrange the schedule of races for the season and all sailing activities of the association.
D. Membership committee: The Commodore shall appoint a Membership Committee consisting of three (3) members of the Board of Directors. It shall review each initial application for membership and shall submit a recommendation to the Board of Directors. It shall further annually, before March 15, meet and review the membership rules in each membership category. It shall, at that time, initiate the appropriate renewal mechanism.
E. Nominating Committee: The Commodore shall appoint a Nominating Committee as defined in Article V., c.
F. The Commodore may appoint other committees as may be necessary.
G. The Board of Directors shall annually appoint delegates and alternate delegates to the ILYA and the WYA.
The fiscal year of the North Lake Yacht Club shall be October 1 to September 30.
Rules of Order
Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, shall govern the conduct of all meetings of this association.
These by-laws may be amended by a two-thirds vote (of the members present and voting and those represented by absentee ballot) at any duly constituted meeting of the members. No amendment shall be made unless a quorum of the members is represented at a meeting and unless notice of such proposed amendment is given in the notice calling the meeting.